Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm Running a Marathon

Wendy called last week and said that its the last day to sign up for the St. George marathon. It was already well into the evening, and although we had talked about waiting a year, I went on line and signed up! We just have to wait to see if we get picked in their lotto.

Our first item of business...SHOES
So Wendy and I decided we needed running shoes. We went to the runners store to buy the exact shoes our feet needed to support us as we run. Henry came along...almost more than he could handle. It wasn't so much that he wanted to pull down every shoe and play with it like a car...that wasn't it at all. The poor guy had to sit there and watch his mom RUN through the store. I tried a neutral shoe on and ran down their little path so they could observe my stride and see if I was pronating. Once was a little embarrassing for the little guy, but he handled it well. Then they had me try on shoes that would correct my stride, and run down the path again. He was good with that. I think it was when they asked me to squat down in my shoes...that put it way over the top. Immediately he demanded that I sit down. After that he begged me to sit down every time I got up to run...I'll tell you, the boy just can't take his mom out in public anymore!

Second...
Sooo, I'm a little out of shape. Okay, I'm a lot out of shape. Really, I'm in a good, round shape, but that doesn't work if you want to run a long long way. That just means the marathon itself won't be the only marathon I will be running...I have to get into good physical shape. I'm finding that's a lot more difficult than finding a pair of shoes. I went online and found a 16 week training schedule...perfect! The only clincher is that I need to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping by the end of next week. Our first conditioning run will be 3 miles...I have to be able to run 3 miles just START training! Last night was my first jog...3 mile jog. To be honest with you, I don't think I actually jogged even half of that. I couldn't jog even 10 minutes without stopping! I have sooo far to go to be ready to START conditioning...I'm not giving up...

No comments: