Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rubios.


Rubios. If you've been there I could stop here. We use to go camping on the beach down below San Felipe, Mexico. While camping we'd often take a trip into town to do the tourist thing. There was a little taco shop down by the beach in town. They sold fish tacos at $.10 a taco... Although I loved mexican food found in the states, fish tacos were far better than anything I had tasted in the states....perhaps it was because we were camping. Perhaps it was because they made great food! ...and I wasn't even a big fan of fish. So, I'm guessing some ingenious guy who had a similar experience figured out how to duplicate the taco recipe. It must have been Rubio himself...I don't know. I'm a good one for starting rumors. So if you are in California, and you see a Rubios, you have to go in and try their "Pesky Combo". That is 2 fish tacos in a meal. Make sure you tell them you want them on corn tortillas. It makes a big difference. And if you like guacamole, and sour cream, go for it. Squeese a bunch of lime on it. It's good that way...then enjoy. I have to warn you, others have now decided to serve fish tacos in their restraunts, and have attempted to improve the recipe. Fish tacos from other establishments tend to be gross. Sorry. Nothing beats a good fish taco from a tiny taco shop on the beach in Mexico...or Rubios.

3 comments:

mlee said...

did you know they have one in Utah too? Its in Salt Lake...I went there a few weeks ago when I found it on accident.

jaylene said...

We have one close to where we live. I am excited to try the fish tacos. Robert has tried them. they just havent sounded good, but after your compelling recommendation how can I not try them. I guess I just have to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. pesky combo, corn tortilas, and lots of lime, the big dilema how to keep them in my mouth and off my shirt. Rubios gets me every time.

Kathy said...

I miss it already *sigh*