Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Duboise Idahoese


I got to go to Idaho last week which was a real treat. Not only did I get to see my mom, I got to see lots of other relatives too. Then I was able to go down to Provo to see "Kenna".

So, my vocabulary has matured somewhat. I have a few words for you all to learn. We'll start with a couple. Did you know that holy mackeral is not a religious fish? Thank goodness for Jaylene who sat by my side and interpreted Duboise Idahoese for me. I'm not sure they speak Duboise Idahoese in other parts of Idaho even...only our moms "was" fortunate enough to pick up on that. I have to say, though, they taught us a thing or two while growing up. It's a fascinating language.

In Massachusetts the kids get expelled for saying...*%&^ (okay, that means crap...please don't repeat it!)...to intrepret the Idahoese it just means shucks, or crumb. A true Duboisean uses that word like it's the word "and". So if any of you are planning a trip to Idaho, or you frequently converse with a native Duboisean, come talk to me. I can give you the low down on the vocab in a jiffy (that means quickly), and we'll have you up and running in no time.

2 comments:

jaylene said...

GOOD CRAP Lynda! oh yea, Good crap is a bad thing. Good Crap that picture is not a good one of me.

My favorite word is swig. You can only get one of those in Idaho, you can get a small drink in other places, but if you want a swig, you gotta go to Idaho.

Princesska said...

hahaha... that is so true. Idaho is full of weird talk. My least favorite -"was" used incorrectly!!

Also - love the picture. Especially how Wendy's showing some leg!!